The Department of Computer Science and Statistics in the College of Arts and Sciences (A&S) at
the University of Rhode Island invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor of
Statistics position with appointment to begin the academic year 2018-2019.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The selected candidate for this position will be expected to teach a variety of undergraduate and graduate courses in statistics, develop new statistics classes at the undergraduate and graduate level, keep an active research program, seek external funding, advise and supervise graduate students in statistics or related fields (through joint supervisions), participate in service activities and provide consulting services to students and other faculty in the Department, College and University.
1. Ph.D. with a concentration in statistics, biostatistics or closely related fields (degree must be earned prior to 31 August 2018).
2. Demonstrated ability to conduct academic research and publish in peer-reviewed journals.
3. Demonstrated ability and interest in teaching graduate and/or undergraduate courses in
4. Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain a collaborative and internally/externally funded research program in statistics and/or related fields.
5. Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups/populations.
6. Demonstrated interpersonal communication skills.
7. Good command of written and spoken English.
1. While all areas of methodological and applied research in statistics or related fields will be fully considered, statisticians with research interests in areas such as Bayesian methods, functional data analysis, dimension reduction methods, large dataset analysis, multilevel modeling, meta analysis, environmental statistics or social statistics are especially encouraged to apply.
2. Demonstrated ability to help build applied undergraduate and graduate statistics, analytics,
data science, and/or informatics programs.
3. Demonstrated ability and/or experience advising and/or mentoring students.
4. Demonstrated interest in developing collaborative research and/or consulting to support the
interdisciplinary nature of programs within the Department and the University as a whole.
5. Demonstrated commitment and/or interest to participate in service and outreach committees.
ALL REQUIREMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO POSSIBLE MODIFICATION TO REASONABLY
ACCOMMODATE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES.
This is an open until filled search. First consideration will be given to applications received by
April 20, 2018. Second consideration may be given to applications received by May 20, 2018.
Applications received subsequent to second consideration date (May 20, 2018) may not be given full consideration.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICANTS
Applications must be submitted directly online only at: http://jobs.uri.edu/postings/3234
Please attach the following 4 (PDF) documents to your online Faculty Profile Application:
1. Cover letter including a description of how your qualifications match the requirements for the position.
2. Curriculum Vitae that includes your research interests, education history, a list of publications
and awards, a list of courses taught or assisted, titles of conference presentations, consulting
experience, and mentoring/advising experience (as one complete document).
3. Teaching statement (limited to two pages) and teaching evaluations (if applicable) as a single
4. Research statement (limited to three pages) as one complete document.
In addition, please ask 3 referees to send a letter of recommendation by email to: Statistics
Search Committee Chair, Department of Computer Science and Statistics, URI,