The Department of Mathematics at Marian University in Indianapolis, IN seeks a dynamic and innovative leader for the position of tenure-track Assistant Professor in Mathematics, who will demonstrate academic excellence and the potential for distinctive contributions to the holistic development of students. Teaching-focused candidates in any area of pure or applied mathematics are encouraged to apply.
Marian University is a Catholic, comprehensive, regional institution of higher education dedicated to excellent teaching and learning in the Franciscan and liberal arts traditions and offers a multitude of undergraduate, graduate and professional programs. Marian University has been experiencing significant growth over the last decade and is expanding its academic offerings in many areas.
The Department of Mathematics at Marian University is a collaborative academic community committed to fostering student engagement, problem solving, and communication. The department offers degrees in both Mathematics and Computer Science—with concentrations in Statistics, Actuarial Science, and Applied Mathematics—in order to develop transformative leaders for service to the world in a variety of areas of business, government, and education.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach a variety of courses, including classes within the general education curriculum and undergraduate major curriculum.
- Share in the ongoing development and implementation of department and college activities and projects.
- Engage in research, scholarship, and other professional activities.
- Mentor students through advising, undergraduate research, and internship opportunities.
- Participate in the life of the campus and university service, including participation in faculty governance and co-curricular programs.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of Marian University.
- A Ph.D. in Mathematics or closely related field.
- Demonstrated potential for excellence and innovation in student-centered instruction.
- Demonstrated interest in curriculum and program development.
- Potential for ongoing research, publication, and activity in professional associations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues of diverse backgrounds.
Marian University is located within 10 minutes of downtown Indianapolis, Marian University is one of the nation’s preeminent Catholic institutions of higher learning, and ranks in the Top 25 of US News & World Report’s list of Midwest Region colleges, as well as Money magazine’s list of Top 10 schools in Indiana “For Your Money”. Marian University was founded in 1937 by the Sisters of St. Francis, Oldenburg, Indiana, and the Franciscan Values that the Sisters ingrained into the university’s culture are still prevalent today. The university has experienced tremendous growth in the past 10 years under the leadership of President Daniel J. Elsener, including the opening of the Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2013 – the state’s first new medical school in 110 years. Marian University’s football team has captured the NAIA national championship in 2012 and 2015 in 9 years of existence. Marian University is also home to the most successful collegiate cycling program in the nation, which currently holds 46 national titles.
Review of applications will begin December 1, 2019 and continue until the position is filled. Applications require a letter of application, a current CV, three letters of recommendation, evidence of teaching effectiveness, and a sample of scholarly work. All applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Marian University is an EOE