Assistant Professor of Mathematics Education
California State University, Fresno, Posted: September 6, 2023
Job No: 529943
Work Type: Instructional Faculty – Tenured/Tenure-Track
Categories: Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Faculty - Mathematics/Statistics, Tenured/Tenure-Track, Full Time
California State University, Fresno
College of Science and Mathematics
Department of Mathematics
Fall 2024 (August 2024)
Fresno State invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track position in the Department of Mathematics beginning in Fall 2024 at the Assistant Professor rank. A Ph.D. in Mathematics Education, or a closely related field, with a strong background in mathematics, is required (ABD candidates will be considered). The successful candidate will: (1) teach, supervise and advise undergraduate (B.S.), graduate (M.S.), and credential students; (2) conduct research/scholarly activities (that lead to grants, presentations, and publications); and, (3) engage in service to the University and the community. Depending on departmental needs and the candidate's expertise, his/her teaching responsibilities will include mathematics and credential courses for (mainly) pre-service K-12 teachers in the Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and the Liberal Studies programs. Instruction and project advising of students in the Master of Science in Mathematics program is also expected. The typical instructional workload is 12 weighted teaching units per semester. In the first two years, new tenure track faculty receive a reduced teaching load to allow new faculty start-up time for teaching, research, and other professional development efforts. Specific assignments are dependent on departmental needs and the background of the individual.
Our Students: California State University, Fresno is committed to serving our students with a focus on inclusion. Fresno State has been recognized as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI); an Asian American/Native American/Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI); and has been designated to the Community Engagement Classification by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
Required Education (from an accredited institution or foreign equivalent.):
- An earned doctorate (Ph.D.) in Mathematics Education and
- Master's degree in Mathematics or equivalent coursework.
- Applicants nearing completion of the doctorate (ABD) may be considered; however, for appointment, the doctorate must be completed by August 1, 2024
- Potential for successful teaching at Fresno State, as required by the position description. This can be demonstrated by, for example: (1) previous experience teaching mathematics courses at the PreK-12, undergraduate, or graduate levels, and/or (2) by discussing curriculum/teaching plans that would fit our institution and the position. Candidates should use their teaching statement to demonstrate that they have this required qualification.
- Evidence of ability to conduct successful research related to mathematics education. This can be demonstrated by, for example, (1) previous publications record, and/or (2) having a research plan for the next few years. Candidates should use their research statement to demonstrate that they have this required qualification.
- Ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds. Please tell us, at least, (1) how you think you would fit in a diverse environment, like Fresno State's, and (2) what plans (and/or previous experience) you have in engaging students from typically underrepresented groups. Candidates should use their diversity statement to demonstrate that they have this required qualification.
- Successful teaching in mathematics with experience infusing pedagogy and best practices.
- Successful teaching or supervising in a credential program setting
- Ability to teach master's level courses on cognition in mathematics, research methods in mathematics education, and quantitative research practicum.
- Publication record in mathematics education commensurate with experience and/or involvement in research related to PreK-16 mathematics teaching or learning.
- Potential to successfully obtain external funding.
- Potential for active involvement in community-based outreach related to mathematics. For example: Fresno State's Math Circles, the Science and Mathematics Education Center (an interdisciplinary center that conducts outreach, research and programs related to K-16 science and mathematics education), etc.
Application Procedures: To ensure full consideration, applicants should submit all application materials by October 1, 2023; review of applications will begin on October 2, 2023 and may continue until the position is filled. This position automatically closes on March 31, 2023. Note: All positions at Fresno State are subject to funding availability.
Apply online at: http://careers.fresnostate.edu/
Attach the following:
- Letter of interest or cover letter specifically addressing required experience and preferred qualifications
- Current curriculum vitae that includes at least three professional/academic references with their contact information
- Teaching statement/philosophy
- Research statement
- Statement addressing your commitment to working with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds (that is, a diversity statement).
- Unofficial transcripts for Ph.D. and Master's or graduate coursework.
Candidates invited for an on-campus visit must submit by mail/e-mail within the designated deadline. The Search Chair will send information and requests for these items:
- Three current letters of recommendation (dated within 12 months)
- Official transcripts
Committee Information and Search process:
Search Chair: Dr. Rajee Amarasinghe
Department of Mathematics
College of Science and Mathematics
About Fresno State
California State University, Fresno is an engaged University. We focus on broadening students' intellectual horizons, fostering lifelong learning skills, developing the leaders of tomorrow, promoting community involvement, and instilling an appreciation of world cultures. We nurture cultural competence by celebrating the rich diversity of the campus community and welcoming the participation of all. Members of the University community work effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds. Fresno County is the heart of California and home to a diverse community, having something to offer to everyone:from thrilling outdoor adventures to the Central Valley heartland of farm-to-fork dining. Fresno is close to three national parks—Yosemite, Kings Canyon, and Sequoia, as well as within several hours from San Francisco, Angeles, and the California coast, while at the same time being very affordable.
The campus is ranked 36th in the nation by https://washingtonmonthly.com/2022-college-guide/national/; ranked 3rd by https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities in graduation rate performance for public institutions; and, ranked 41st in the nation in http://time.com/money/best-colleges/profile/california-state-university-fresno/. The campus is classified as an R2 “Doctoral Universities - High research activities” university per the https://carnegieclassifications.acenet.edu/.
Tenure-Track Faculty members gain a clear path to tenure through the University's Probationary Plan Process. For additional information, please visit: http://www.fresnostate.edu/academics/facultyaffairs/procedures/facultyrtp/. We value our commitment to the success of our faculty by providing services from the Center for Faculty Excellence to Research and Sponsored Programs.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience. Anticipated hiring range is $6,167-$6,334 per month for Assistant Professor (12 monthly payments per academic year). As a member of the 23-campus CSU System, we offer an extremely competitive benefits package.
About the College and Department:
Our Department: With a commitment to the highest standards of teaching, the Department of Mathematics serves the University and the community by providing (1) mathematics education to mathematics, science, engineering, and liberal studies majors, the overwhelming majority of whom are pre-service elementary school teachers, and (2) general education mathematics courses for all majors. In pursuit of its educational mission, the department offers the following programs: Bachelor of Science in Mathematics (w/options Applied Mathematics; General Mathematics; Pure Mathematics; Statistics; Teaching; and Integrated Credential) and a Master of Science in Mathematics.
The Fresno State campus sits in the midst of the San Joaquin Valley, a valley rich in the traditions and representation of Native American peoples and cultures. We are grateful to be in the traditional homelands of the Yokuts and Mono peoples, whose diverse tribal communities share stewardship over this land.
Other Campus Information:
In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Fresno has made crime-reporting statistics available to applicants, students, and employees online at www.fresnostate.edu/police/clery/index.shtml. Print copies are available by request from the Campus Police Department.
A background check (including criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily for this position. Any offer of employment may be withdrawn, or employment may be terminated based upon the results of the background investigation.
The person holding this position is considered a "limited reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements outlined in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017, as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following website: http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html.
California State University, Fresno is a smoke-free campus. For more information, please click http://fresnostate.edu/adminserv/smokefree/index.html
California State University, Fresno is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
COVID19 Vaccination Policy
Per the https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/11030468/latest/, it is strongly recommended that all employees who are accessing office and campus facilities follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4559851
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.