Conference registration is now available: Register Now
See registration rates at the bottom of the page.
Information about the Conference:
Dates: November 2-4, 2018
Location: Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel — St. Louis, MO
The National Alliance for Doctoral Studies in the Mathematical Sciences is pleased to announce the Eleventh Annual Mathematical Field of Dreams Conference. This is the second year the conference will be held at the Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel in St. Louis, MO.
The Conference will bring together faculty in the mathematical sciences with students from backgrounds underrepresented in those fields. This will be an exciting weekend that will provide something for everyone.
This year’s host institution will be Washington University in St. Louis which has a tradition for strong commitment to, and success in, diversity and inclusion in STEM and we look forward to working with them in the future!
The conference hotel is the Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel and is offering a discounted rate of $99 USD per night.
Start date: 11/1/18
End date: 11/4/18
Last day to book: 10/11/18
Book your group rate for Field of Dreams Conference —- Last day to book discounted rate : 10/17/18
Information for Undergraduate students (Predoctoral Scholars):
- Research Experiences for Undergraduate (REU)– There will be many Colleges, Universities and Institutes ready to tell you about their summer research programs and provide information on how you can apply.
- Facilitated Graduate Applications Program (F-GAP) Graduating Seniors and Masters students can apply to graduate programs during the conference. F-GAP participants are matched with a Doctoral Mentor who will review your personal statement and resume and offer expert advice on the graduate school applications process. (see more information about this program here.)
- Graduate/REU/Institute Fair – Meet with faculty and students from individual Alliance Graduate Program Groups (GPGs) during our Graduate Fair. Get information on the Summer REU’s. Meet with representatives of the Math Science Institutes. We will have an expanded 2017 Fair to ensure ample time to network with over 50 institutions and programs.
- Panels – (1) The Doctoral Student panel will discuss their graduate experience and talk about strategies for success, and how to pick a graduate program. (2) Alliance Mentors will share what they look for when admitting a graduate student, what undergraduate courses are essential to your success in grad school and what their expectations are upon entering their program. (3) Alliance Doctoral Alumni Panel will share their wisdom and tell you about their different career paths and the positives and negatives of each.
These are just a few of the panels included in this years conference.
Graduate Students (Doctoral Scholars): You will have many opportunities during the conference including:
- Meeting and networking with other Alliance Graduate students
- Meeting Alliance Graduate Faculty and learning about Postdoc programs.
- Presenting your research in the Poster Presentation session Friday evening.
- Sharing your experiences and knowledge by serving on program panels targeted at our Predoctoral Scholars.
Faculty and Corporate Partners: Our Conference is an opportunity for faculty to discuss common research interests and to form research partnerships. It gives Alliance Graduate Mentors an opportunity to get to know some of the most promising undergraduate students in the math sciences today. You can also schedule your regional group meetings during the free time sessions on Friday and Saturday evening.
The Alliance welcomes representatives of government agencies and industry who are interested in meeting our community of students and faculty.
Instructions for Undergraduate students (PreDoctoral Scholars)–How can I attend the Field of Dreams Conference?
Attendance to the Field of Dreams Conference for Predoctoral scholars is by invitation only and is limited to Alliance Scholars. All scholars must be nominated by an Alliance mentor before they are considered for participation.
- First priority is given to those students who are participating in the 2018-19 Facilitated Graduate Applications Process (F-GAP). For those F-GAP participants, the Field of Dreams Conference will give you a chance to meet with your mentoring team (Predoctoral Mentor & Doctoral Faculty Facilitator) to discuss your application process.
- Second priority will be given to those students looking to apply to a Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU). You may apply and will be supported as funds allow.
- Students in an MS program at an institution which does not offer a doctoral program are also welcome to apply if nominated.
- Other nominated students may also apply.
If you are selected to attend the conference, the Alliance will pay for your travel, registration and hotel (Hotel reservations for all predoctoral students are 2 students per room).
If you are interested in attending this conference, please ask your Alliance Mentor to nominate you. If you are not presently an Alliance Scholar and would like to become one, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2018 Conference Fees:
Faculty from departments with no Phd program: $400
All others: $600
Graduate Program Recruitment Table: $500
Career Fair Table: $300
NOTE: If you are a member (student or faculty) of a GPG, you may be entitled to a discount through your department’s membership in the Center for the National Math Sciences Alliance. See your GPG leader to see if this applies to you before you register.