California State Polytechnic University, Pomona invites applications for a tenure track faculty position in Statistics. Cal Poly Pomona is one of two polytechnic universities in the 23-campus California State University system and among 11 such institutions nationwide. Since its founding in 1938, Cal Poly Pomona students participate in an integrative experiential learning education that is inclusive, relevant, and values diverse perspectives and experiences. With a variety of degree programs in the arts, humanities, sciences, engineering, and professional disciplines, the university is well known for its learn-by-doing approach and Teacher Scholar Model.
The Department. The Department of Mathematics and Statistics has over 30 full-time faculty and offers a bachelor’s degree in mathematics with two options: pure mathematics / secondary teaching and applied mathematics / statistics. We also offer a master’s program with four possible emphases: pure mathematics, applied mathematics, statistics, and mathematics education. Within the next two years, we also plan to launch a new Master of Science in Statistics and Applied Mathematics program. The department currently has over 500 major students, including over 80 graduate students, and serves over 5,000 students each semester.
Cal Poly Pomona has a student body with diverse socio-economic and cultural backgrounds and learning styles, and the Department is looking for faculty who can thrive and contribute meaningfully in this environment. In particular, applicants with a commitment to diversity in higher education are encouraged to apply. Our majors reflect the diversity of the overall university student population, with over 50% from underrepresented groups. We support our students as they move into careers in STEM fields or further education in mathematics and statistics. We value faculty who can inspire students through their teaching and through mentorship in research.
The Position. Throughout the academic year, you will typically teach a mix of courses in statistics and data science at the lower division, upper division, and graduate levels. In addition, you will be expected to supervise master’s thesis research and prepare master’s comprehensive exams. Your service duties will include contributing to department, college, and university committees, as well as other duties such as curriculum development. We also expect you to sustain a scholarly research program, which may include statistical consulting collaborations.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. Our excellent benefits program includes start-up funds and a reduced teaching load during the first two years. Rank of initial appointment for this position is Assistant Professor only.
- Completion of a Ph.D. in statistics or a related area by at the time of the appointment.
- Experience teaching or communicating in technical settings.
- Potential to sustain a scholarly research program in statistics or data science.
- Ability to contribute to the diversity and inclusiveness of the academic community through research, teaching, and/or service work. This evidence must be communicated in the application process via a Student Success Statement, which explicitly addresses at least two of the inclusive excellence criteria listed above in this long-form advertisement.
- Any area of statistics or data science will be considered, but preference will be given to candidates having expertise in machine/statistical learning, statistical computing, statistical software development, Bayesian analysis, nonparametrics, time series, biostatistics, stochastic processes, or mathematical statistics.
- Evidence of excellence in teaching and the ability to teach upper division and graduate statistics classes.
- Evidence of the ability or desire to direct master’s thesis research.
For first consideration, submit the following materials by Monday, December 6. All materials must be submitted to MathJobs. In addition, submit the cover letter, curriculum vitae, and Student Success Statement to Interfolio:
- A cover letter in which you describe your background and interest in teaching, research, and service. In your cover letter, please address the duties and qualifications stated in our position description.
- A curriculum vitae, which should include the names, titles, addresses, phone numbers, and emails of at least three references we may contact who can speak to your potential for success in this position.
- A Student Success Statement (two pages maximum) specifically addressing your teaching, successes, challenges, or other experiences in working with a diverse population and how this experience will contribute to the broader mission of Cal Poly Pomona to be the model of an inclusive polytechnic university. Your Student Success Statement must explicitly address at least two of the inclusive excellence criteria listed above in our long form ad.
- A Teaching Philosophy Statement, including evidence of the effective application of your teaching philosophy in technical communication settings (classroom teaching, consulting, etc.).
- A Research Statement, explaining your past and current research efforts as well as future research plans.
- Undergraduate and graduate transcripts. Unofficial transcripts may be submitted for this application; official graduate and undergraduate transcripts will be required if you are selected as a finalist.
- A minimum of three recent (within the previous two years) letters of reference on your behalf should be submitted through AMS MathJobs. At least one of your reference letters should address your teaching potential.
- A Cal Poly Pomona application form will be required if you are selected as a finalist.
Submit all the above materials to AMS MathJobs: https://www.mathjobs.org/jobs/list/18850
In addition, you must also submit your cover letter, curriculum vitae, and Student Success Statement to Interfolio: http://apply.interfolio.com/98443
Your completed application packet will be available to be examined by all tenured and tenure-track faculty of the Cal Poly Pomona Department of Mathematics and Statistics. This position is open until filled. Those applications completed and received by Monday December 6, 2021 will receive first consideration. Early response is encouraged.
Please direct all inquiries to (email is recommended mode of contact):
Faculty Search Committee
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
3801 West Temple Avenue
Pomona, California 91768-4007
PHONE: (909) 869-3496 (Search Coordinator)
Apply on Interfolio